Clipper is a new way to save if you're working more flexibly and travelling less often
If you're travelling with Metrolink, plan ahead, allow extra time for your journeys, avoid the busiest times and routes, if you can, and be patient when travelling.
Our new trial offer is designed for flexible workers, part-time workers or anyone who travels regularly but not every day. You can buy online for your get me there smart card and won't need to use ticket machines on stops.
If you travel on Metrolink 3 or 4 days a week, or always in the off-peak, our new Clipper could be better value than a 7-day travelcard.
- Each Clipper will include 10 identical Metrolink adult 1-day travelcards.
- You can choose anytime or off-peak travelcards, for any combination of zones.
- All 10 travelcards must be used within 4 weeks (28 days).
- The price for each Clipper will be the total for nine travelcards, so you get one free.
|any one zone|
|Clipper anytime||£24.30||saving £2.70|
|Clipper off-peak||£17.10||saving £1.90|
|Clipper anytime||£38.70||saving £4.30|
|Clipper off-peak||£31.50||saving £3.50|
|zones 2+3 or 3+4|
|Clipper anytime||£31.50||saving £3.50|
|Clipper off-peak||£27.90||saving £3.10|
|Clipper anytime||£54.90||saving £6.10|
|Clipper off-peak||£38.70||saving £4.30|
|Clipper anytime||£42.30||saving £4.70|
|Clipper off-peak||£35.10||saving £3.90|
|Clipper anytime||£63.90||saving £7.10|
|Clipper off-peak||£44.10||saving £4.90|
How to buy
If you buy online, you can select a start date within the next 7 days and the first time you touch-in to travel at a smart reader on a Metrolink stop, on or after this date, your first travelcard will start automatically.
You can buy a second Clipper or another type of travelcard, with a start date before your current Clipper expires, but they should all be anytime tickets or all off-peak tickets, and not a combination.
How to use Clipper
- Once you have your Clipper, simply touch-in before boarding and touch-out at your destination each time you travel, using the smart readers on tram stops.
- Each day that you make one or more journeys, a travelcard will be used and, provided you touch-in to start each journey and stay within the zones you’ve chosen, all your journeys will be covered. Only one travelcard will be used for each day you travel.
- You can use your travelcards on any 10 days from the start date and you have 4 weeks (28 days) from this date to use them.
- The 4 weeks starts from the day you buy your Clipper in a TfGM Travelshop or the start date you choose when you buy online at getmethere.com. It’s not the first day that you activate a travelcard, which may be later.
Please note: If you don't touch-in with your travelcard before boarding a tram and you are asked to produce a ticket for inspection, you will be given a standard fare notice.
If your smart card is not accepted for travel
- Make sure your travelcards cover the zones you need to travel through.
- Check that you’re not trying to travel with an off-peak travelcard before 9.30am on a weekday.
- You may have used all 10 travelcards already.
Checking how many travelcards you have left
- You need to make sure you touch-in before you start each journey, so the inspector can see your active travelcard.
- Having travelcards left on your Clipper does not mean you have a valid ticket.
- As with any ticket on a smart card, a Metrolink official will be able to check that you have a valid and active Clipper travelcard. If you failed to touch-in, your card won’t show a valid ticket and you will be liable for the standard fare.